We've all been there.
You have a dress that you love, but it just doesn't look right on you.
Maybe it's too big, too long, too shapeless, or too outdated.
You want to wear it, but you don't want to look like you're wearing a potato sack.
So how do you make a dress less frumpy?
How do you transform it from a fashion faux pas to a fabulous outfit?
Well, you're in luck, because we have some tips and tricks for you.
Whether you need to style a frumpy dress for a wedding, a brunch, or a night out, we've got you covered.
Here are some ways to make a dress less frumpy and more flattering:
1. Accessorize smartly
Accessories can make or break your look.
They can add some color, texture, and personality to your dress, and draw attention to your best features.
But be careful not to overdo it. Too many accessories can make your outfit look cluttered and busy.
Some accessories that can help improve the look of a frumpy dress are:
- A belt. A belt can cinch your waist and create some definition and shape. It can also shorten a dress that's too long or add some contrast to a plain dress. Try a wide belt for a dramatic effect or a thin belt for a subtle touch.
- A scarf. A scarf can add some warmth and style to your dress. It can also hide a neckline that's too high or too low, or add some interest to a boring dress. Try a colorful scarf for a pop of color or a patterned scarf for some fun.
- A necklace. A necklace can draw attention to your face and neck, and balance out the proportions of your dress. It can also add some sparkle and glamour to your outfit. Try a long necklace for a vertical effect or a short necklace for a horizontal effect.
- A pair of earrings. Earrings can frame your face and highlight your eyes, hair, and skin tone. They can also add some shine and elegance to your look. Try a pair of dangly earrings for some movement or a pair of studs for some simplicity.
2. Alter the dress if needed
Sometimes, the only way to fix a frumpy dress is to alter it.
If your dress is too big, too long, too loose, or too outdated, you may need to take it to a tailor or do some DIY alterations.
This can make a huge difference in how your dress fits and flatters you.
Some alterations that can fix a frumpy dress are:
- Hemming it. Hemming your dress can make it more appropriate for the occasion and more suitable for your height. It can also make your legs look longer and slimmer. The ideal length for most dresses is just above or below the knee, depending on your preference.
- Taking it in. Taking in your dress can make it more fitted and snug, and accentuate your curves. It can also make your dress look more modern and chic. The ideal fit for most dresses is not too tight and not too loose, but just right.
- Adding some details. Adding some details to your dress can make it more stylish and trendy. It can also give your dress some character and flair. Some details that you can add are buttons, lace, embroidery, ruffles, or patches.
3. Choose the right shoes
Shoes can make a big impact on how your dress looks on you.
They can complement or clash with your dress, and affect the overall vibe of your outfit.
They can also affect your posture and confidence.
Some shoes that can help improve the look of a frumpy dress are:
- Heels. Heels can elevate your dress (literally and figuratively) and make it more sophisticated and glamorous. They can also make you taller and slimmer, and improve your posture and walk. Try a pair of pumps for a classic look or a pair of sandals for a casual look.
- Flats. Flats can ground your dress and make it more comfortable and practical. They can also make you look more relaxed and laid-back, and add some contrast to your outfit. Try a pair of ballet flats for an elegant look or a pair of sneakers for an edgy look.
- Boots. Boots can edge up your dress and make it more cool and funky. They can also add some warmth and protection to your feet, and work well with different seasons and weather conditions. Try a pair of ankle boots for a versatile look or a pair of knee-high boots for a dramatic look.
4. Layer it with a jacket or a cardigan
Layering your dress with a jacket or a cardigan can add some structure and dimension to your outfit.
It can also cover up any areas that you're not comfortable with, such as your arms or your back.
Plus, it can keep you warm and cozy in colder weather.
Some jackets or cardigans that can help improve the look of a frumpy dress are:
- A denim jacket. A denim jacket can add some casual and cool vibes to your dress. It can also create some contrast and balance out the femininity of your dress. Try a cropped denim jacket for a flattering fit or an oversized denim jacket for a relaxed fit.
- A leather jacket. A leather jacket can add some edge and attitude to your dress. It can also make your dress look more modern and chic. Try a fitted leather jacket for a sleek look or a biker leather jacket for a tough look.
- A blazer. A blazer can add some sophistication and polish to your dress. It can also make your dress look more professional and appropriate for work or formal occasions. Try a tailored blazer for a classic look or a boyfriend blazer for a trendy look.
- A cardigan. A cardigan can add some softness and coziness to your dress. It can also make your dress look more casual and laid-back. Try a long cardigan for a cozy look or a short cardigan for a cute look.
5. Mix and match it with other pieces
Mixing and matching your dress with other pieces can give it a new life and make it more versatile.
It can also help you create different looks for different occasions and seasons.
Some pieces that you can mix and match with your dress are:
- A skirt. A skirt can change the shape and length of your dress, and make it look like a top. It can also add some color, pattern, or texture to your outfit. Try a pencil skirt for a sleek look or a midi skirt for a flowy look.
- A pair of pants. A pair of pants can change the style and vibe of your dress, and make it look like a tunic. It can also add some warmth and comfort to your outfit. Try a pair of jeans for a casual look or a pair of leggings for a sporty look.
- A top. A top can change the neckline and sleeves of your dress, and make it look like a skirt. It can also add some layering and interest to your outfit. Try a t-shirt for a simple look or a sweater for a cozy look.
6. Experiment with different hairstyles
Your hairstyle can affect how your dress looks on you, as well as how you feel about yourself.
It can also complement or clash with the style and mood of your dress.
Some hairstyles that can help improve the look of a frumpy dress are:
- A ponytail. A ponytail can lift up your face and make you look more youthful and fresh. It can also show off your neck and shoulders, and balance out the volume of your dress. Try a high ponytail for an energetic look or a low ponytail for an elegant look.
- A bun. A bun can tidy up your hair and make you look more neat and chic. It can also highlight your facial features, and work well with any dress style. Try a sleek bun for a sophisticated look or a messy bun for an effortless look.
- A braid. A braid can add some texture and interest to your hair, and make you look more playful and fun. It can also keep your hair out of your face, and match the femininity of your dress. Try a side braid for an asymmetrical look or a crown braid for an ethereal look.
7. Add some color or pattern to your dress
Adding some color or pattern to your dress can make it more lively and fun.
It can also express your personality and mood, and make you stand out from the crowd.
Some ways to add some color or pattern to your dress are:
- Dyeing it. Dyeing your dress can change its color and make it more vibrant and fresh. It can also give your dress a new look and feel, and make it more unique. Try a bright color for a bold look or a pastel color for a soft look.
- Painting it. Painting your dress can add some pattern and design to your dress. It can also unleash your creativity and artistic skills, and make your dress more original. Try a floral pattern for a feminine look or a geometric pattern for a modern look.
- Embellishing it. Embellishing your dress can add some sparkle and glamour to your dress. It can also make your dress more eye-catching and luxurious, and make it more special. Try some sequins for a shiny look or some beads for a textured look.
8. Wear it with confidence
The most important thing to make a dress less frumpy is to wear it with confidence. Confidence can make any outfit look better, and make you feel better about yourself. Confidence can also radiate positive energy and attract compliments.
Some ways to wear your dress with confidence are:
- Smile. Smiling can brighten up your face and make you look more friendly and approachable. It can also show that you're happy and comfortable in your dress, and that you enjoy wearing it. Try a genuine smile for a warm look or a playful smile for a flirty look.
- Stand tall. Standing tall can improve your posture and make you look more confident and powerful. It can also show that you're proud and comfortable in your dress, and that you own it. Try standing with your shoulders back, your chest out, and your chin up for a confident look.
- Have fun. Having fun can make you look more relaxed and carefree in your dress. It can also show that you're not too worried about how you look, and that you're having a good time. Try laughing, dancing, or joking around for a fun look.
There you have it - three simple ways to make a dress less frumpy and more fabulous. With these tips, you can turn any frumpy dress into an amazing outfit that suits your style and personality.
So don't let that frumpy dress sit in the back of your closet any longer. Give it some love and attention, and make it work for you.
And if you're looking for some new dresses that are already flattering and fashionable, check out our collections at Neon Star . We have dresses for every occasion, every body type, and every taste.
If you liked this article, you might also like these other articles from our blog:
- How to Transition Your Dresses from Day to Night with Ease - This article gives you some tips on how to change up your look with accessories, shoes, and jackets to go from a casual daytime outfit to a glamorous nighttime outfit with your dresses.
- How to Wash and Care for Your Wrap Dress - This article shows you how to wash and care for your wrap dress to keep it looking fresh and beautiful for a long time. It also explains the benefits of choosing a wrap dress made from natural fabrics like cotton or silk.
- How to Use the Toilet with a Jumpsuit - This article answers the common question of how to use the toilet with a jumpsuit without getting undressed or making a mess. It also gives you some advice on how to choose a jumpsuit that is easy to wear and comfortable.